Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Lost

And I put on their raiment, lest I should seem strange, as one that had come from without to recover the pearl; and lest the Egyptians should awake the serpent against me. But, I know not by what occasion, they learned that I was not of their country. And with guile they mingled for me a deceit, and I tasted of their food. And I knew no more that I was a king's son, and I became a servant unto their king. And I forgot also the pearl for which my fathers had sent me, and by means of the heaviness of their food I fell into a deep sleep.
I, of course, had my reasons for betraying my true self. My justifications. My excuses. Others might think that I had to recover the pearl. I could not stand up and say I was doing so. I was afraid they would wake the serpent. I did not know that now the serpent was awake within me. He was already doing a good job of guarding the pearl. 
I blame it all on them, on the people around me. I say they deceived me but I deceived myself. I ate their food. Now I had not only their external appearance but internally as well. I had become them. I forgot the pearl. I forgot my mission. I forgot my ancestors. I became a walker in my sleep. A virtual zombie. Like all others around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment